The main goal of LIFEstockProtect is to inform on livestock protection measures; the key tool for this is courses to teach people how to implement these measures effectively. Therefore, after much work and collaboration between actors from Austria, Bavaria and South Tyrol, LIFEstockProtect is pleased to announce that the first courses are now available to book on the training website!
Experienced livestock owners qualified in livestock protection consulting have developed training courses; they therefore contain a strong practical element. They also have a modular structure and are regionally adapted. The one, two or three day courses, which are in the German language, will teach participants about the basic practical and theoretical knowledge needed for effective livestock protection in different environments, from lowland fields to alpine pastures.
The courses are highly subsidised for participants and therefore only cost 50€ per day instead of 200€.
The following courses will take place in April:
- 08.04.2022 – Protection of lowland pastures (Austria): The electric fence is the basis of technical livestock protection and covers protection from wolves or golden jackals. Such a fence is flexible in its application and can help with bordering or paddocks as well as enclosing fields on short notice. This makes it ideal protecting for lowland pastures from large carnivores. This course offers fundamental know-how on construction and application. – Postponed due to adverse weather conditions
- 09-10.04.2022 – Livestock protection with practical mobile fencing element (Bavaria): Bavaria too, has experienced the wolf’s arrival. Sheep and goats are among its prey; keeping them from harm is therefore a priority. Electric fences are generally the go-to protection measure against large carnivores. This course will demonstrate and allow the practice of erecting and electrifying banded and netted fences. – Postponed due to adverse weather conditions
- 22.-24.04.2022 – Electric fence construction on small meadows (Bavaria): This course will cover the theoretical basics of livestock protection and fence construction. The course has a strong practical element; the participants will build a permanent electric fence for sheep farming as well as identifying and tackling challenging spots. There will be plenty of room for exchange and dialogue between livestock owners.
- 30.04.2022 – Pasture management and fence construction (South Tyrol): As a key element of technical livestock protection, electric fences are ideal for paddocks and herd animals’ comfort. They also allow the protection of lowland and alpine pastures from large carnivores. This course will each the basics of livestock protection as well as mobile fence building and upgrading existing fences.
More courses will be available on the training website in the coming weeks – you can find out more by subscribing to the LIFEstockProtect Newsletter.
If you’d like to take part, please see the following steps:
- Visit the LIFEstockProtect training website
- Choose the course you’d like to attend
- Add the course to your cart
- Put in the billing and additional information
- Complete payment
- You will receive a payment confirmation email.
If you have any questions, please write to us using the contact form.
The LIFEstockProtect team can’t wait to welcome participants and is looking forward to an exciting exchange on livestock protection!